Young Europe IV is a 3-year programme devoted to expanding the canon of European theatre literature, by highlighting "forgotten" plays and by writing new ones for young audiences.
European theatre literature is dominated by the white, heterosexual, male perspective. With Young Europe IV we explicitly focus on the non-dominant voices in our societies, on stories that aren’t told or could be told more often.
Young Europe IV runs from 2021-24 and aims to challenge this.
8 theatres from 7 countries are participating in the project, which will see eight new texts on diverse, inclusive themes written for young audiences.
The playwrights are guided, provoked and challenged in their writing process by mentors from across the European theatre scene.
The classroom plays will be performed at participating theatres during the final year of the project (2023/24) before being featured at a festival in 2024.
Image: Elisa von Brockdorff for Teatru Malta / ETC
Playwrights and Mentors
- Tomer Pawlicki. Working with De Toneelmakerij
- Jaka Smerkolj Simoneti. Working with SNG Nova Gorica
- Tereza Trusinová. Working with Slovak National Drama Theatre
- Matin Soofipoor Omam. Working with Badisches Staatstheater Karlsruhe
- Alex Weenink & Kurt Gabriel Meli. Working with Teatru Malta
- Olya Voronkova. Working with Belarus Free Theatre
- Zoi Apostolidou. Working with Cyprus Theatre Organisation (THOC)
- Emel Aydoğdu. Working with Junges! Staatstheater Braunschweig
- Patty Kim Hamilton
- Mohammad Al Attar
- Dounia Mahammed
- Dino Pesut
Key Project Dates
17 - 19 May 2022
Partner meeting and project kick off in Prague