Young Europe IV is a 3-year programme devoted to expanding the canon of European theatre literature, by highlighting "forgotten" plays and by writing new ones for young audiences.
European theatre literature is dominated by the white, heterosexual, male perspective. With Young Europe IV, which runs from 2021-24, we explicitly focus on the non-dominant voices in our societies, on stories that aren’t told or could be told more often.
9 theatres from 7 countries are participating in the project, which will see eight new texts on diverse, inclusive themes written for young audiences.
The playwrights are guided, provoked and challenged in their writing process by mentors from across the European theatre scene.
The classroom plays will be performed at participating theatres during the final year of the project (2023/24) before being featured at a festival in 2024.
The project is part of TRANSFORMATIONS, ETC's programme of activities from 2021-24, which is co-funded by the European Union.
Young Europe IV is the winner of a 50,000 EUR prize and the Art Explora - Académie des Beaux-Arts European Award 2022! Read more
Image: Elisa von Brockdorff for Teatru Malta / ETC
- De Toneelmakerij (The Netherlands)
- SNG Nova Gorica (Slovenia)
- Badisches Staatstheater Karlsruhe (Germany)
- Teatru Malta (Malta)
- Slovak National Drama Theatre (Slovakia)
- Belarus Free Theatre (Belarus / UK)
- Young Vic (UK)
- Cyprus Theatre Organisation (THOC) (Cyprus)
- Junges! Staatstheater Braunschweig (Germany)
Playwrights and Mentors
- Tomer Pawlicki. Working with De Toneelmakerij
- Jaka Smerkolj Simoneti. Working with SNG Nova Gorica
- Tereza Trusinová. Working with Slovak National Drama Theatre
- Matin Soofipoor Omam. Working with Badisches Staatstheater Karlsruhe
- Alex Weenink & Kurt Gabriel Meli. Working with Teatru Malta
- Olya Voronkova. Working with Belarus Free Theatre and Young Vic
- Zoi Apostolidou. Working with Cyprus Theatre Organisation (THOC)
- Emel Aydoğdu. Working with Junges! Staatstheater Braunschweig
Young Europe IV has won the Art Explora – Académie des Beaux-Arts European award!
It is our immense pleasure to announce that, among 150 applicants, and 6 finalists in its category, Young Europe IV is elected winner for its innovation in access to culture, and rewarded with a €50,000 prize!
The Art Explora – Académie des Beaux-Arts European award will enable ETC to transform the reach of Young Europe IV and create a diverse theatre canon for young audiences across the continent, through translations and the organisation of a dedicated theatre festival in 2024. The news comes towards the end of the EU European Year of Youth 2022, which aims to build a more inclusive future. Read more
Key Project Dates
19 - 21 April 2023
Young Europe IV Writers' Lab & Festival Interrim Meeting, at Staatstheater Braunschweig
Thursday 6 October 2022, 17:00-18:30
Online Event for the Launch of the Young Europe IV International Theatre Project
17 - 19 May 2022
Partner Meeting and Project Kick Off in Prague