The ETC Drama Committee returns for the period 2021-24, with a focus on introducing European audiences to brilliant new playwrights around the globe.
Objectives of This Project :
- Highlight European contemporary playwrights and their work
- Create a pool of interesting contemporary texts for ETC Members
- Support the international trajectory of text-based theatre plays through translation
A Multilingual Trajectory in Three Steps
The ETC Drama Committee will select three plays to be translated from their original language into English.
In a previous version, the selected texts presented to ETC Members (and to a wider audience through livestream) in the form of staged readings or staged extracts, during the “ENGAGE Festival 2021 – New Drama”, during the ETC International Theatre Conference in Graz/Austria in June 2021.
ETC Member Theatres could then request ETC grants to translate these texts into further European languages.
The ETC Drama Committee
- János Antal Horváth, Stage Director currently working at Weöres Sándor Színház (Hungary/Szombathely)
- Jennifer Weiss, Dramaturge at Volkstheater Wien (Austria/Vienna)
- Erell Blouët, Coordination/Project manager at La Mousson d'Été (France/Pont-à-Mousson)
- Marta Ljubková, Chiefdramaturg at National Theatre Prague (Czech Republic/Prague)
- Karla Mäder, Head of Dramaturgy at Schauspielhaus Graz (Austria/Graz)
The committee will be joined by Paulien Geerlings, Head Dramaturg at de Toneelmakerij (The Netherlands/Amsterdam), who will be the ETC Board Delegate of the Drama Committee. ETC honorary members Christa Müller and Ola Bø will also participate and advise the committee. The ETC Project & Network Manager Hélène Gauthier will manage the committee’s work.
27 November 2020: Call for texts during the ETC International Theatre Conference
31 January 2021:Deadline to send texts
1 March 2021:Choice of 3 texts to be translated into English announced.
The 3 ETC Theatres commission the translation
15 April 2021:Deadline to send back the English version to ETC.
Schauspielhaus Graz starts working on staging text readings (full texts or extracts)
10-13 June 2021:ETC International Theatre Conference in Graz/Austria: Stage readings
30 June 2021:Deadline for interested theatres to request a grant for translation of the texts into further European languages (5 grants available)
The ETC Drama Committee (explained below) then selects 3 plays to receive a grant (up to €1,500) for translation into English. Selection criteria:
- Relevance for European audiences
- Need for support for the author’s career internationalisation
- Geographical balance
- The ETC theatres that have proposed the selected plays are in charge of organising their translation into English.
Upon receiving the English translations, Schauspielhaus Graz organises staged readings (of the whole texts or extracts) to be performed and livestreamed during the ENGAGE Festival 2021 – New Drama in June 2021, thus offering an artistic contribution to the ETC International Theatre Conference and Europe-wide visibility for the texts and the authors.
ETC Theatres interested by the texts can request grants for translation into further European languages.
If you are interested or would simply like to know more, contact Hélène Gauthier, Project & Network Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org or +49 172 357 32 45
Photo credit: Obie Fernandez on Unsplash