Les Théâtres de la Ville de Luxembourg/Luxembourg
08 December 2019 to 11 February 2020
Les Théâtres de la Ville offers a placement as an assistant director on the production of Das Letzte Feuer, directed by Anna Frick.
Das Letzte Feuer combines performative elements and classical theatre. Anna Frick is interested in interdisciplinary works with music and dance combined with the text by Dea Loher. The production will be with participants from Luxembourg and Germany. The rehearsals are in Luxembourg.
- Profile of the scholar: An assistant director with experience in performing arts (including classical theatre). They should be well organized and should know the processes in theatre well. Furthermore, they should be ready to work a lot in a relaxed, pleasant atmosphere. We as a team are working close together and the artistic exchange is very welcomed.
- Language requirements: German (fluent), French (fluent)
The Theatres de la Ville aim to nurture the creative vitality of the national scene by actively involving local talent in international co-productions. Furthermore, considerable effort is invested to enable homegrown projects to tour abroad by constantly nurturing partnerships with other European venues
Slovenian National Theatre Nova Gorica/Slovenia
09 December 2019 to 31 January 2020
SNG Nova Gorica offers a placement as assistant director for the production of Galileo, directed by Zoran Petrovič.
A team of young creatives headed by the director Zoran Petrovič (Studied alternative theatre on DAMU in Prague) is embarking on an adventure of creating a devised piece for two actresses and an actor based on the life story of Galileo Galilei. The piece constructed mainly (but not exclusively) for adolescent audience will focus on values of curiosity, science and pursuit of truth for the wellbeing of human society. The dates above are flexible and the premiere date is not yet set.
- Profile of scholar: We are looking for a team-oriented young theatre professional who is willing to work in a group environment.
- Language requirements: Fluent English is a must. Slavic languages are a plus (Czech, Slovak, Slovenian, Croatian, Serbian).
Nova Gorica is a smaller town in West Slovenia with approximately 30,000 inhabitants and a twin city Goricia/Italy just across the border. Slovenian National Theatre of Nova Gorica is the westernmost Slavic theatre. It has an ensemble with 21 actors and 74 staff altogether, two stages (371 seats and 107 seats).
13 January to 01 March 2020
Theater Magdeburg offers a placement as an assistant director on their production of Engel in Amerika Teil 1+2, directed by Tim Kramer.
The scholar will get an insight into the production process from the first reading of the play until its final dress rehearsal in Magdeburg. The scholar will learn from the director’s perspectives on working with actors, technical departments and members of the leading team. During the residency, the scholar will be guided by the first assistant of the production and introduced to all upcoming tasks. The play will be directed by Magdeburg’s theatre manager Tim Kramer. Kramer’s second production in Magdeburg will be assisted by his long-time scene designer Gernot Sommerfeld.
- Profile of the scholar: The scholar should be communicative, open-minded and interested in theatre. A general, basic knowledge of backstage processes in a theatre is required.
- Language requirements: A level of proficiency in German (Level B1/B2) is essential for the residency.
Theater Magdeburg always attempts to have a balance between the contemporary, unconventional and entertaining theatre. Magdeburg was fairly isolated from international culture during the years 1949 to 1990. Today we see a city that is flourishing with numerous cafes, green areas and culture in diversity of genres and styles.
“Marin Sorescu” National Theatre of Craiova/Romania
10 February to 23 March 2020
The “Marin Sorescu” National Theatre of Craiova offers a placement as second assistant director on the production of The Cousin Shakespeare by Marin Sorescu, directed by Radu Boroianu.
The period of the residency is from the second part of the rehearsals period to the opening night. The production will be done on the main stage of Craiova National Theatre. The Cousin Shakespeare is a text by Marin Sorescu, one of the greatest Romanian playwriters and poets. The artistic direction will be signed by a true scholar, Radu Boroianu, surrounded by a creative team of anthropologists, choreographer, musicians. The play is basically a dialogue between Shakespeare and the Danish Sorescu, bringing together two worlds, two cultures with all their archaisms.
- Profile of the scholar: An enthusiastic and dynamic emerging director with a good command of English.
- Language requirements: The play/rehearsals will be in Romanian; English fluency is required. French would be a plus.
The National Theatre Marin Sorescu is located in Craiova – a town situated on the south-west of Romania. The Theatre organizes every two years the International Shakespeare Festival, bringing to the public the most important Shakespearian shows from all over the world.
24 February to 22 March 2020
Schauspielhaus Graz offers a placement in the department of dramaturgy, working across various productions.
The scholar will gain an insight into the strategic planning and everyday work of the theatre. There are four dramaturgs working on different projects during this period, so it is possible to get a glimpse into several and very diverse productions, e.g. Shakespeare's Macbeth, Third republic by Thomas Köck, and two different citizen stages, one dealing with the fans of two local soccer teams, the other dealing with culinary traditions away from home. The dates above are suggested and can be flexible.
- Profile of the scholar: An emerging dramaturg/author. They should be interested in working with us, helping us in our daily routines and join our numerous meetings that are held on a regular basis: with the marketing, education team, the disposition, and within the dramaturgy itself twice a week. We would also hope for someone who is able and interested in introducing us to interesting authors / directors / theatres of their country.
- Language requirements: Good German (read and spoken) is necessary to make the most out of this scholarship.
Schauspielhaus Graz is a typical repertoire theatre with 20 new productions each season, performed in three venues (50 to 550 seats) and occasionally site-specific productions outside the theatre adding up to 420 shows every year. We are 150 very nice people working here, among them 24 actors and actresses. And Graz is a really cool place to be!
Fondazione del Teatro Stabile di Torino/Italy
17 February to 22 March 2020
Teatro Stabile di Torino offers a placement as second assistant of the director for the production of La casa di Bernarda Alba (The house of Bernarda Alba) by Federico Garcia Lorca, directed by Leonardo Lidi.
Leonardo Lidi (1988) is a young Italian director, winner of the first edition of Biennale College in Venice.
- Profile of the scholar: Exemplary interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively; Capability to accomplish assigned tasks independently and with quality; Creativity and determination to realise goals and plans; Strong motivation with excellent organising and time management skills; Result-oriented.
- Language requirements: The team will work in Italian, so a good a knowledge of it is necessary. Besides that, a good knowledge of Spanish will be appreciated.
The Teatro Stabile di Torino was founded in 1955 and is now one of the seven National Theatres in Italy. This institution has a leading role within the cultural life of the city and the country. Over the past ten years, it has received more than 30 critics' awards for the quality of its productions, which have toured all over Italy and abroad.
Teatro Nacional D. Maria II, Lisbon/Portugal
13 April to 24 May 2020
Teatro Nacional D. Maria II offers a placement as second assistant director for the production Catarina and the Beauty of Killing Fascists written and directed by the artist Tiago Rodrigues.
In this play, Rodrigues will address the threat of new fascisms in Europe, the real danger of civilizational regressions, the ever-clearer notion that capitalism is not compatible with a democratic society committed to social and environmental justice. The scholar is invited to participate in rehearsals and in productions meetings where decisions will be taken regarding set, light and costumes.
- Profile of the scholar: An emerging artistic director with some professional experience in staging texts.
- Language requirements: Portuguese - Basic; English – Fluent
Lisbon is mainland Europe's westernmost capital city and the only one along the Atlantic coast. Teatro Nacional D. Maria II first opened its doors on April 13th, 1846. Today, TNDM II is one of the main Portuguese theatres, attracting and forming new audiences, bringing to all layers of the population cultural and artistic activities.
Bang, Artist Residency 2019 at “Marin Sorescu” National Theatre of Craiova ©Albert Dobrin