Objectives of This Project :
- Highlight European contemporary playwrights and their work
- Create a pool of interesting contemporary texts for ETC Members
- Support the international trajectory of text-based theatre plays through translation
A Multilingual Trajectory in Three Steps
The ETC Drama Committee (see here) will select three plays to be translated from their original language into English.
The selected texts presented to ETC Members (and to a wider audience through livestream) in the form of staged readings or staged extracts, during the “ENGAGE Festival 2021 – New Drama”, during the ETC International Theatre Conference in Graz/Austria in June 2021.
ETC Member Theatres may then requests ETC grants to translate these texts into further European languages.
27 November 2020: Call for texts during the ETC International Theatre Conference
31 January 2021:Deadline to send texts
1 March 2021:Choice of 3 texts to be translated into English announced.
The 3 ETC Theatres commission the translation
15 April 2021:Deadline to send back the English version to ETC.
Schauspielhaus Graz starts working on staging text readings (full texts or extracts)
10-13 June 2021:ETC International Theatre Conference in Graz/Austria: Stage readings
30 June 2021:Deadline for interested theatres to request a grant for translation of the texts into further European languages (5 grants available)
Application Guidelines & Available Grants
Interested ETC Member Theatres are being asked to apply with one text of a contemporary author they work with.
- The play must have already been completed and but not yet been translated into further languages.
You will be asked to
- send a plot summary (one page, including presentation of the main characters) in English
- send a biography of the author (including a list of already published plays)
- explain the relevance of the play for European audiences (including main topics of the play, one page).
Deadline: 31 January.
The ETC Drama Committee then selects 3 plays to receive a grant (up to €1,500) for translation into English. Selection criteria:
- Relevance for European audiences
- Need for support for the author’s career internationalisation
- Geographical balance
The ETC theatres that have proposed the selected plays are in charge of organising their translation into English.
Upon receiving the English translations, Schauspielhaus Graz organises staged readings (of the whole texts or extracts) to be performed and livestreamed during the ENGAGE Festival 2021 – New Drama in June 2021, thus offering an artistic contribution to the ETC International Theatre Conference and Europe-wide visibility for the texts and the authors.
ETC Theatres interested by the texts can request grants for translation into further European languages
If you are interested or would simply like to know more, contact Hélène Gauthier, Project & Network Manager: email@example.com or +49 172 357 32 45
Photo credit: Obie Fernandez on Unsplash