Dailes Theatre is the largest professional theatre in the Baltic States, with a history and traditions stretching back over a century. The artistic vision and drive of the theatre was created by its founder, the legendary director Eduards Smiļģis, whose dynamic style shaped the theatre for more than 40 years. The style was born from the radical artistic changes happening during the revolution of 1917 and inspired by the Avangard theatre of Vsevolod Meyerhold, Yevgeny Vakhtangov, and Nikolai Evreinov. Smilģis’s aesthetic was for his time a bold and radical style of visual expression. Today that tradition continues, with new innovation and aesthetic challenges driving the artistic direction of the theatre.
Why Join ETC?
- Meet and network with colleagues from other European theatres
- Create international artistic collaborations
- Get inspired by new ideas and shared best practices
- Be represented at European and international level
- Discover new contexts, cities and perspectives