ETC Artists in Residence Programme 2022
ETC is offering six placements at below Members Theatres as part of the Artists in Residence Programme 2022.
ETC is closely following the development of the Covid-19 pandemic in Europe. The residency placements might be cancelled or postponed if travel or event restrictions in the participating countries make it impossible for them to take place as initially planned.
The ETC Artists in Residence Programme 2022 is subject to confirmation of funding by the Creative Europe Programme of the European Union.
National Theatre Prague (Prague / Czech Republic)
24 January 2022 - 6 March 2022
National Theatre Prague offers a placement as assistant director for the production of 'The People versus Kramer', directed by Petra Tejnorova - 24 January 2022 - 6 March 2022.
The topic of performance is a court case of 1920/21, after a crowd of Czech actors, legionaries and audience members occupied the Estate Theatre, where this performance will take place. German director Leopold Kramer, who was renting the Estate Theatre at the time, led a lawsuit against 14 protagonists of the occupation but due to the nationalist movement growing in the Czechoslovak society, his rights were eventually denied.
The creative team led by director Petra Tejnorova follows the antecedents of the occupation as well as the process itself in a documentary form, exploiting the principles of live cinema.
- Profile of artist: They are preparing a bilingual Czech-German performance so they would appreciate a German-speaking scholar who will be able to help us with texts and research in German language. They also require help in usual tasks of the rehearsal process, such as taking notes, coordination and other stage assistance to the creative team. The profile includes the fields of dramaturgy, directing, assistant director, theatre scientist, or event students, with the interest in documentary and devised theatre or live cinema. No previous experience required.
- Language requirements: (B2+/C1, advanced, able to read and write in German), English (B2/C1, intermediate/advanced level).
The National Theatre – Drama in Prague presents works of the classical and contemporary Czech and international repertoire, original projects and Czech premieres.
The productions are visually compelling and exquisitely staged. Our company also hosts accompanying activities, educational programmes, and the international festival Prague Crossroads.
Slovak National Drama Theatre (Bratislava / Slovakia)
26 January to 26 March 2022
Slovak National Drama Theatre offers a placement on the production 'The Crucible' directed by Marián Amsler, 26 January -26 March 2022
Arthur Miller' 'The Crucible', the stirring well-known play of iconic author about the eternal moral dilemmas makes its comeback on the SND's stage - where the last production was staged in 1966 - under the direction of Marián Amsler.
The creative team includes Darina Abrahámová and Marie Špalová (Dramatury) Juraj Kuchárek (Set design) Marija Havran (Costumes design), Stanislava Vlčeková (Movement tutor) and Ivan Acher (Music).
The selected artist will work mostly with the dramaturges and the director. One of their main tasks will be to capture the creative process, and create a diary of the rehearsals for the evening programme, thanks to a open space for interviews with the creative team.
- Profile of the artist: They are looking for a young professional dramaturge or theatre director, with experience in a creative process in bigger public theatre venues, experience in work with text editing, researching and processing, providing interviews, observation, and reflection of the creative process, courage to ask uncomfortable questions and appetite for discussion. Skills in new media, photography, creative writing are welcome.
- Language requirements: English (C1), Slovak/Czech: begginer (A1/A2). The team works primarily in Slovak.
The Slovak National Theatre, one of the country’s most important cultural institutions, was established in 1920. Dramaturgy of SND Drama focuses especially on contemporary world drama, as well as on exploring new Slovak plays.
The comprehensive opening of the theatre facilitated guest collaboration with foremost international directors.
Kyiv National Academic “Molodyy” Theatre (Kyiv/Ukraine)
1 February - 13 March 2022
Kyiv National Academic “Molodyy” Theatre offers a placement as Assistant Director on the production of 'The Idiot' directed by Andrii Bilous - 1 February - 13 March 2022.
The performance will be based on the novel by Fyodor Dostoevsky. It will be a modern reading of a classical work with the author's staging, contemporary choreography and original music arrangement.
The idea of the project is to create a show that focuses on the concepts of "murder" of the fallen world, "the failure of the human in man." The play aims to raise awareness of acute social issues and become a platform for public discussion among the audience and the professional community.
They will work on finding a new form of existence on stage and ways of communication with the audience.
- Profile of the artist: They are looking for an Assistant Director, who will work directly with the director, Andrii Bilous, work and communicate with actors, coordinate the work of departments and to generally, participate in all processes of creating a performance. The artist must be a team player who is responsible for their work, able to make quick decisions in unusual situations, can adapt and learn something new quickly. Profile education and work experience in the theatre are important.
- Language requirements: English – B2/C1 (intermediate). Team will work in Ukrainian/Russian languages, but mentor can translate everything to the artist in English.
Kyiv National Academic Molodyy Theatre is an energetic team that seeks to discover new talents, experiment and conquer the peaks of performing arts.
They participate in national and international festivals, tour performances throughout Ukraine and initiate the creation of new projects. The theatre is situated in the heart of Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine.
Cyprus Theatre Organisation (Cyprus)
8 February - 20 March 2022
Cyprus Theatre Organisation (THOC) offers a placement as a second assistant director on the production of 'Machinal', written by Sophie Treadwell and directed by Avra Sidiropoulou - 8 February - 20 March 2022.
The artist will get an insight into the production process, from the creative work of the rehearsals of the play until its general rehearsal and premiere in THOC’s stage.
- Profile of the artist: The artist will learn from the director’s way of working with actors and the members of the creative team. During the residency, the artist will be guided by the director, as well as the first assistant of the production, following the production’s meetings, in order to evaluate with them the development of the play on stage.
- Language requirements: The play and the rehearsals will be in Greek. Fluent English (C1) is necessary for the residency. A good knowledge of Greek would be a plus.
The Cyprus Theatre Organisation was founded in 1971 and is the state theatre of Cyprus, having a leading role within the cultural life of the country. It emphasises a wide range of activities include a plethora of theatre events in a continuous and creative development, which are characterised by both an artistic and a socio-political orientation.
Schauspielhaus Graz (Graz / Austria)
28 February - 29 May 2022
Schauspielhaus Graz would like to welcome a placement for four weeks as a member of their dramaturgical team, 28 February - 29 May 2022.
The artist will get an insight into the functioning of the Schauspielhaus, they will be able to watch all the shows that are on the repertoire and will have the opportunity to attend all rehearsals at that time. They will also support the Schauspielhaus team in everyday dramaturgical work.
They would also like to learn about the theatre of your country and hope for new contacts / fresh ideas from you.
- Profile of the artist: They would like to welcome any young theatre professional who works as a dramaturg or intends to go into this direction. Please tell them about your experiences in the field of dramaturgy and why you think a scholarship in Graz would be interesting for you.
- Language requirements: Since their working language and all reharsals and shows are in German, they are looking for someone who speaks German fluently (B2+/C1).
Schauspielhaus Graz is a typical German style repertoire theatre with three venues. There are 120 people working at our theatre, among them 20 actresses and actors.
They produce 20 new shows per season and have a strong focus on contemporary playwrights. Graz, the second biggest city of Austria, is known for its rich culture and relaxed atmosphere.
National Theatre Belgrade (Belgrade / Serbia)
Exact dates to be determined in March-April 2022
National Theatre Belgrade offers a placement as Assistant Director on the production of 'War and Peace' directed by Boris Lijesevic. Exact dates to be determined in March-April 2022
The assistant director will be working on the adaptation of the seminal novel 'War and Peace' by L.N. Tolstoy, directed by Boris Lijesevic, a highly acclaimed director of authentic voice and great sensibility, especially in his deeper understanding of the actors skill.
The performance will be a part of the main stage repertoire of the National theatre in Belgrade. The artist will also have a chance to participate in other activities and educational programmes for audiences and get to know the local theatre scene.
- Profile of the artist: the assistant director should be interested in contemporary theatre, be imaginative and proactive, devoted to details and interested in adaptation of classics and understanding of the process of acting.
- Language requirements: English - at least intermediate level (B2) is required. The team will work in Serbian, but translation will be provided. Knowledge or familiarity with Russian language is a plus.
National Theatre in Belgrade has three ensembles - Drama, Opera and Ballet working on two stages. It also has a Museum, is involved in international projects and develops education programmes.
Belgrade is a vibrant city, with a diversified cultural scene. It is full of culture and history, but also hip cafes & restaurants and vibrant nightlife.
Find out more about National Theatre Belgrade