European Theatre Academy 2024

Date: 28 June - 02 July 2024

Applications for this edition of the Academy have now closed.

The 10th edition of the annual ETC European Theatre Academy will again take place during the Festival d’Avignon in France, from Friday 28 June to Tuesday 02 July 2024. 

It will offer masterclasses and the opportunity to work on own projects with mentors, focusing on the different aspects of curating and managing international theatre collaborations, as well as networking opportunities with other young theatre professionals.

It will provide an overview of different international collaboration forms and theatre systems, dealing with artistic as well as administrative, financial and legal questions in the European context. Participants will benefit from expert lectures on funding and support, production and curating, sustainability in theatre, touring and accessing foreign theatre markets. Several group work sessions with selected mentors will enable the participants to work on their own projects and delve into practical issues and considerations. 

Leading professionals of the international theatre scene will guide the participants and accompany them throughout the Academy which will become a working space of reflection, promotion of good practices and international networking.  

The programme will be further enriched by performances of the Festival d’Avignon and daily discussions on the performances seen together.


What does the Academy offer?

The European Theatre Academy is specifically designed for theatre professionals at the beginning of their careers, with the potential and ambition to grow internationally. 

The programme includes: 

  • Academy programme with masterclasses and workshops with leading professionals from the European theatre scene from 28 June to 2 July 2024 
  • Tickets to pre-selected performances of the Festival d’Avignon (subject to availability) 
  • Welcome dinner on 28 June 2024 and networking cocktail on 01 July 2024 

The selected participants are asked to arrange and cover their travel to and accommodation in Avignon, as well as a valid health insurance for the duration of the European Theatre Academy individually. 

There is no participation fee in the European Theatre Academy.

The selected participants or their organisations are however required to stay in the Academy hotel, in the city centre of Avignon, for the duration of the Academy and will be asked to cover 65% of their hotel room costs, amounting to approximately €460 pro person (including breakfast), thanks to preferential rates negotiated with the hotel. ETC will cover the remaining 35% of the accommodation costs. Other meals in Avignon are not included.

In case of acceptance to the European Theatre Academy, personal attendance throughout the entire time of the programme is required.  

Candidate Profile

The call is open to theatre professionals at the beginning of their careers who have already had various experiences in the field, with potential and ambition to grow internationally. Profiles of the selected participants might vary depending on their interests and experiences. Applications from theatre directors, managers and administrators, producers and touring managers, dramaturges, international relation managers or personal assistants, from independent companies and institutional theatres across Europe are welcome.

The call is open to applicants: 

  • from all ETC Member Theatres
  • from independent theatre professionals residing in the following countries: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Ireland, Spain.


The application period has now closed.

For reference, please take note of our general application guidelines.

The deadline for applications is Sunday 05 May 2024, 23:59 CET. The results will be communicated by email mid-May 2024.

Please kindly note that you will have four days to confirm your participation should you have been selected. If you do not respond within those four calendar days your spot will be offered to another applicant. 


For further inquiries or additional information, please contact the ETC Office: 

Laura Gardes – Project & Network Manager:

The European Theatre Academy is organised in collaboration with PEARLE* and is part of the project "TRANSFORMATIONS - Recharging European Theatres and Audiences in a Post-Covid World " which is co-funded by the European Union.

Cloître Saint-Louis © Christophe Raynaud de Lage / Festival d'Avignon

Why Join ETC?

  • Meet and network with colleagues from other European theatres
  • Create international artistic collaborations
  • Get inspired by new ideas and shared best practices
  • Be represented at European and international level
  • Discover new contexts, cities and perspectives
Be part of the community: join Europe's network for public theatres!

Discover all your benefits as a member